[Tagging] Proposed feature - Voting - electricity

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 22:31:02 UTC 2021

Hi Joseph,

Le ven. 1 janv. 2021 à 23:12, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
a écrit :

> I'm aware that power=generator is used for solar plants and solar panel
> installations in openstreetmap, but the common meaning of generator is "a
> machine used to generate electricity", that is, they convert mechanical
> energy into electrical energy.
>
> Specifically: " Generators work by rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic
> field, causing a current to flow in the wire. A generator may be a huge
> spinning turbine powered by water, wind, steam, gas, or nuclear reactions,
> which sends electricity out through power lines to thousands of customers.
> But normally when we use the word, we're thinking of a small machine
> powered by gasoline or diesel, such as you might keep in your basement for
> those times when a storm knocks out your power, to create electricity right
> in front of your eyes." -
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/generator

We are discussing this point in the power storage thread as well and
several point of view exist.

IEC says "non-electric energy into electricity"
http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=151-13-35

AND IEC says "Mechanical energy into electricity"
http://www.electropedia.org/iev/iev.nsf/display?openform&ievref=411-32-01
regarding rotating machinery.

Wikipedia EN says "mechanical energy into electricity", without proper
source
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_generator

Wikipedia FR says "non-electric energy into electricity", without proper
source
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9n%C3%A9rateur_%C3%A9lectrique

Aren't we try to restrict ourselves to mechanical energy just because it's
the denser form we currently use?

All the best

François