[Tagging] Proposed feature - RFC - Military Bases

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 23:02:23 UTC 2021

On Fri, 1 Jan 2021 at 23:25, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don’t see why any of this should be mentioned in a tagging proposal,
> just like I would not include a paragraph about copyright infringement or
> other licensing questions, etc.
>
> It may have a place on a tagging definition page, but in a proposal it
> seems not necessary and distracting from the purpose of the page (finding a
> suitable tagging scheme).

Agree to a certain extent, although potentially being arrested on an
espionage charge is somewhat more dramatic than a copyright issue!

Currently, the military= page
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:military includes a full warning
(which has apparently been there since the page was created in 2007?):

*"Caution:* In some territories, it is *illegal* to create maps of military
facilities. With the act of surveying on-the-ground OSMers may be
particularly at risk of attracting legal consequences, even in more liberal
countries. Laws and sensitivity in general will vary depending on the type
of facility. Some countries also have laws prohibiting the creation of such
maps from aerial imagery, and even the use and distribution of maps
containing this information. Clearly such activities can take place outside
of the law's jurisdiction. A further dimension to the problem though, is
that *using* OpenStreetMap can be illegal when other contributors have
mapped these things. There's further discussion here at Talk:Key:military
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:military> and elsewhere. In
general you are advised to exercise caution and know your rights related to
mapping military facilities."

Should that be replaced / updated?

Thanks

Graeme