[Tagging] "Now, if we could just get it rendered"

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 12:11:14 UTC 2021

On 02/01/2021 04:09, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Unfortunately, it turns out that Docker requires Win 10.
>
> My laptop is still on 8.1 (& I have no plans for upgrading it ATM!) so
> that rules that out :-(
>
> I do have Ubuntu on a notebook, so I'll give that a go, but it's
> definitely not a high-performance machine!

Other Windows options include running a small Linux virtual machine.  A
quick search suggests that VirtualBox offers lots of ways of running on
older hardware - see https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads .

I've no idea how much memory you have available but a few years ago I
regularly used to test map style changes on a VM with a couple of GB
allocated to it of 4GB available to the host, without too many
problems.  You'll want to only load a small area of data to fit in a
small amount of memory, but that won't be a problem as you're only
investigating the rendering of individual nodes.

Best Regards,

Andy