[Tagging] Proposed feature - Voting - electricity

Lukas Richert lrichert at posteo.de
Sat Jan 2 12:30:21 UTC 2021

Hi Joseph, to clarify the aim of the electricity proposal is to be
consistent with the OSM definition of generator. This is also the reason
why any form of electricity:storage tagging isn't a part of the
proposal. If the definition of a generator in OSM changes, then I'll
change it in the proposal as well. Opposing the OSM definition of the
proposal however isn't a good reason to oppose the electricity proposal
- it doesn't help anyone to have 2-3 differing definitions of what a
generator is in OSM as this would lead to increased mistagging. Further,
I've proposed a quantified definition of intermittent and provided more
examples of how to tag scheduled outages.

Finally, some more definitions of a generator:

Wikipedia:DE <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektrischer_Generator>

    A electrical generator is an electrical machine that converts
    between kinetic and electrical energy.

Cambridge.org
<https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/generator>

    A machine that produces something, specifically electrical power in
    some cases

dictionary.com <https://www.dictionary.com/browse/generator>

    a machine that converts one form of energy into another, especially
    mechanical energy into electrical energy, as a dynamo, or electrical
    energy into sound, as an acoustic generator.

Truly none of these mention diesel-only or even fossil-fuel-only. I'd
also like to link some solar manufacturers that clearly use the terms
"solar generator" to mean photovoltaic systems:
https://www.jackery.com/pages/solar-generator
https://www.goalzero.com/shop/solar-kits/solar-generator-kits/, there
are multiple patents using the term
https://patents.google.com/patent/US7492120B2/en