[Tagging] Proposed feature - Voting - electricity

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Jan 2 13:31:30 UTC 2021

Jan 1, 2021, 11:25 by lrichert at posteo.de:

> Ah I replied on the wiki, but I'll do so here to with some more      examples.
>
> On 01/01/2021 08:34, Joseph Eisenberg      wrote:
>
>> I still have 3 major concerns with this proposal.
>>
>>  1) I share the concerns of Mateusz Konieczny that a tag like "        electricity:grid:origin=hydro"  is not verifiable, it's just        advertising. I don't think this is something we should try to        map in OpenStreetMap, because we try to avoid adding tags which        are advertising claims which cannot be confirmed to be true or        false.
>>

> The wiki explicitly mentions financial means and guarantees of      origin are financial products and physics obviously dictates that      electrons are not distinguishable particles.

I have no trouble with tagging presence of advertised claims of guarantees of      origin.

But I want to make clear that we are tagging advertised claims, not guarantees of      origin
that require financial/legal analysis rather than on the ground survey.

>  However, in OSM we      also map organic farm shops and opening hours advertising among a      host of other features that are indicated by signage. These are      also not verifiable by a mapper

Opening hours are fully verifiable by mapper. Unsigned ones can be obtained by asking
employees, and even in absurd cases of intentionally misleading info you can
verify when something is open by checking it sufficiently often.

In cases of guarantees of      origin mapper can verify advertised claims, but checking
actually signed contract requires legal analysis and in my opinion is utterly unsuitable
for OpenStreetMap.

I a also dubious about usefulness of mapping this in OSM and I am not going to do that,
but if someone wants to map kind of advertisements, I have no trouble with that.

> If a sign clearly indicates 'renewable energy' then it      should be possible for it to be tagged.

+1 - but electricity:grid:origin is in my opinion extremely poor tag for that, I would be fine
with electricity:advertised_origin

>  If you personally don't      believe this makes any difference, then simply don't use these      tags to filter, but please do allow others to make that choice.

+1