[Tagging] is explicit segregated tag needed on all ways allowing cyclists and pedestrians?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 20:25:23 UTC 2021

I see no problem with the "segregated" key.
It is only applicable to paths that carry explicit signs for
bicycle=designated and foot=designted.

It should be surface-independent, because there are (infrequent) cases of
unpaved segregated foot-cyclepaths (I have seen them in parks). I have also
seen cases of segregated foot-cycle paths where the pedestrians have
pavement, and the cyclists do not, or vice versa.

Your first example (Réserve naturelle nationale de la baie de Somme) looks
like a highway=track; motor_vehicle=no/private. Are you sure that it is a
designated foot-cycle-path. So this would avoid the segregated yes/no issue.

For unmarked footpath-like paved ways like the one in your Krakow park
photo I presume that cycling is not  explicitly allowed, but tolerated.  Is
there any signposting in your Krakow example? In absence of explicit signs,
I normally tag them as highway=footway; bicycle=permissive, not bicycle=yes.

In this case, JOSM has recently started insisting on having the explicit
segregated tag.
Insisting on "segregated" tagging when there are no blue disk signs or
equivalents is debatable.indeed