[Tagging] is explicit segregated tag needed on all ways allowing cyclists and pedestrians?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 21:00:07 UTC 2021

I never tag segregated=no. On a single way, only segregated=yes has any
meaning. If it's not segregated=yes, it's not segregated.

And it's only segregated if a sign makes clear which side is for which
traffic. You can't assume paved=cycling and unpaved=walking I have just
walked a lot bidirectional ways with visibly separated "lanes", only nobody
can tell which side is for pedestrians and which for bicycles. Because
there are pedestrians who prefer unpaved and pedestrians who prefer paved
or hardened, and the same goes for cyclists and motorcyclists, and
sometimes even horses can take any "lane", segregated makes no sense at all
there.

Even in cities, only the most clearcut cases with signs or very distinct
paving with kerbs or lining deserve an explicit segregated tag.

If not, it's just a single way with explicit or implicit access and maybe
designation.

A bench at the side is not enough to tag the way as a footway.

Peter Elderson