[Tagging] is explicit segregated tag needed on all ways allowing cyclists and pedestrians?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Sat Jan 2 22:36:08 UTC 2021

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 18:37:41 +0100 (CET)
Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> Or is it actually strongly preferable to have explicit segregated also in this cases and
> QA/Validators/editors etc should demand an explicit segregated=no (or =yes) tag
> in such cases?

I think that's the only (valid) reason to not have a default. Because
there was a time before this tag existed and because even since then
not everybody tags it even if warranted (some because of subjective
reasoning I would not support, c.f. Peter Elderson's post).

The alternative would probably be to micromap all the segregated paths
including the border between them (e.g., curb). This most probably would
not find support of a majority in the community at the moment - just
like separation of transport modes in the real world (outside of NL ;).