[Tagging] is explicit segregated tag needed on all ways allowing cyclists and pedestrians?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 22:57:57 UTC 2021

I forgot to mention a stupid issue in Italy:

An un-segregated foot-cycle path the blue disk with no vertical white line
is legally a sidewalk on which cyclists are "tolerated" and pedestrians
have precedence, and, more importantly, their use is not mandatory (when
parallel to the road).
The segregated foot-cycleway (blue disk with vertical separator line), on
the other hand,  is legally composed of two separate lanes, one exclusively
for pedestrians and one exclusively for cyclists. And their use is
mandatory for cyclists.
These aspects are important and can be very costly when you have an
accident.. Hence when I map I try to be very correct.
Unfortunately this legal background is completely unknown to most people in
Italy, until there is an accident.