[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 23:00:41 UTC 2021

A small service way with parking space. Picnic tables and bins would be present, at least. If not, it's just a parking. If it's directly roadside, it's not a rest area. The smaller the road, the smaller it gets. The bigger ones usually have services, facilities, amenities, restaurant, shop, gas station / charging station, and still lots of picnic tables on grass, the whole thing accessible only from the motorway.

For cycling and walking, I don't know of any special or dedicated rest areas, just benches and picnic tables here, there and everywhere.

Peter Elderson