[Tagging] Cartpath RFC

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 00:19:17 UTC 2021

Personally I think it's pretty silly to have to change the approved key
golf_cart to golf_car for the sake of British English, especially since
there seemed to be no problem when it was proposed and approved[1] in
2019.  I assume at this point that there are data consumers that use the
80,000 current usages of golf_cart=*.

If we must change the key name just for the sake of changing the key name
::eye roll:: , my hope is that this change would include a deprecation
schedule that gives data consumers time to adapt to the new key.  That
should include a mechanical edit to dual-tag existing usages, a specified
period of time where mappers are instructed to dual-tag with both tags, and
a scheduled date in the future on which a second mechanical edit would
remove the original tag.  Perhaps 6 months or a year would be a sufficient
time window.

Or, we could just leave the golf_cart=* tag alone and live with the fact
that it isn't the Queen's English.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:golf_cart

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:53 PM Seth Deegan <jayandseth at gmail.com> wrote:

> The golf car path proposal about replacing the current tagging scheme for
> mapping golf car paths has been updated.
>
> *The changes are:*
>
>    - highway=cart_path -> *highway=golf_car_path*  (Explanation
>    <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/golf_car_path#Why_such_a_long_value.3F>)
>
>    - Depreciate the current golf_cart=* access tag and replace with*
>    golf_car=** (Explanation
>    <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/golf_car_path#golf_cart.3D.2A_-.3E_golf_car.3D.2A>
>    )
>
> *Proposal: *
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/golf_car_path
>
> lectrician1 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Lectrician1>
>

> On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 7:21 AM Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Personally, I need a really strong proposal to convince me to vote for a
>> new top-level highway tag. I would want something that describes the unique
>> characteristics of the road rather than it being specifically for golf
>> carts.
>>
>> For a sub-tag below highway=service I need a less-strong argument.
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Dec 2020, 00:13 Minh Nguyen, <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Vào lúc 18:10 2020-12-23, Minh Nguyen đã viết:
>>> new
>>>
>>> Aside from the technical considerations, apparently some places in the
>>> U.S. go to great lengths to make golf carts a first-class mode of
>>> transportation. Peachtree City, Georgia, has a citywide network of over