[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Sun Jan 3 17:05:50 UTC 2021

On Sun, Jan 03, 2021 at 05:23:42PM +0100, ipswichmapper--- via Tagging wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is another RFC for the proposal "addr:interval". This page has been moved twice, and has changed significantly from the original proposal. Since discussion has stagnated a bit, I have decided to create a new RFC with specific goals in mind:
>
> The wiki page contains three "options" to chose from to help tag a range of addresses. Which one is the best? Please discuss.

I really don't like the paragraph about what geocoders should
'guess'. A tag proposal should give clear guidelines to mappers
and data consumers what effect the tag has. If a data consumer
wants to do guessing that's there choice but guessing shouldn't
be codified in the wiki.

> Are there any more simple options (other than the three on the wiki page) so to discern between single housenumbers that contain hypens and a range of addresses?
> How will this be implimented into software (e.g. geocoders like Nominatim)?

Implementing a simple numberical interval is just a question
of doing it. I doubt, though, that more complex intervals like
the 190-10|190-20 would ever get implemented. It's complex and
again involves some guessing about which part actually contains
the interval. There would have to be several thousands of uses
to make it worthwile. I'd strongly recommend just sticking with
mapping one address point per address in these cases instead of
getting carried away with defining some complex format.

So given that. addr:housenumber=<from>-<to> when addr:interval
is present, is currently my favourite. It has the big advantage
that it is both human and machine readable. Renderers who only
want to display house nubmers don't need to care about addr:interval
at all and leave it to humans to figure out what is meant. For
those who do care about individual addresses, the format is simple
enough to parse. The default for addr:interval should be 'no'
because that's what most addr:housenumber are.

Sarah