[Tagging] maxspeed:signed=no - new proposed tag

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 3 21:37:20 UTC 2021

Watch out for the legal extent of the effect of a sign. In NL a sign
(including maxspeed) is assumed to apply "for the current section of
road" i.e. until the next junction. In the UK on the other hand a
maxspeed sign is assumed to apply "until further notice," i.e. until you
pass another sign OR you enter/leave a built-up area (which is often a
grey area in itself) OR you drive onto a different type of road with a
different default speed limit.

Excepting special cases such as the Autobahn in Germany, there is ALWAYS
a maxspeed, whether it is signed or not. Whether the absence/presence of
a sign affects your legal footing is jurisdiction-dependent. In NL the
offence is created by the presence of a sign - if there is no sign, then
the default applies. In the UK, the offence is created by a legal
document, which is not dependent on the presence of signs. If there is
no sign, or if the sign says a different value, that can be offered to
the court in mitigation, but the offence has still been "committed."

Bottom line: I can't see any added value from maxspeed:signed=no.