Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 4 10:28:00 UTC 2021

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 08:52:54 +0100 (CET)
Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> > The question is whether we are willing to accept some railway=razed to fill the gaps to have former railway routes complete, where otherwise there are some observable traces.
> >
> No, we should delete such segments (except cases where people are very likely to believe
> that this section still exist due to a very recent removal).

One such example could be when a cycleway was created on top. No idea
honestly but I could imagine that ballast is not always removed in that
case but used as a base(?).
I would definitely delete railway tags if they would have remained till
then although I am not sure everybody here would agree with me since
there might still remain "traces" like some heaps of ballast stones on
the sides. I presume in theory in some jurisdictions this could even by
done by a corporation owning (and retaining) the way of right for a
railway. *In theory* they could then build it back later. This might be
a ridiculous example, at least from today's perspective but I'd be
interested if someone would disagree to remove the tags then.