[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 4 11:00:40 UTC 2021

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 00:53:40 -0800
stevea <steveaOSM at softworkers.com> wrote:

> If I were a cyclist, I might feel differently if it were miserably-raining or hot-as-Hades, but Goodna Creek Rest Stop looks like more of a joke than what I would call a “Rest Stop.”  I do not mean to offend, and I realize that automobile operators pulling into “my” California Rest Stop can use the restroom, fill a canteen, buy.a reasonably-priced ice cream bar (frozen pretty solid, even on a hot day) and make a phone call, all while the kids are running the dog and filling his water bowl after they clean up after him.  THAT’S a rest stop.  You can even do this if you are a cyclist (and the road allows cyclists, some do).
>
> It would seem that in Australia and Italy, an entirely unique tag must be invented, or perhaps simply the individual amenities (building=roof, bicycle_parking=6 might be “all she wrote” for Goodna Creek) can be included on a node, nodes or tiny (beach-towel sized?) closed way.

When I read the first mail in this thread I was imagining more complete
rest areas as well like what you would find in Germany and Austria if
they are newly built: https://www.google.com/search?q=radweg+rastplatz&tbm=isch

Of course you won't find a restaurant there (although there exist some
places along high-traffic routes such as Eurovelos that might even
qualify for that having a fastfood kiosk) and almost never toilets but a
convenient place to *rest*, i.e., a sheltered table with a bin directly
beside the bike path.

I wouldn't mind changing the definition of highway=rest_area to include
such places that were built specifically for the purpose of hosting
resting cyclists. If that's not an option I think it would make sense to
introduce a new dedicated tag for that. The reasoning would be to easily
query/render such places along a route that are fit for taking a break
and conveniently eat something. In such a use case it is not that
important what facilities are there exactly - just like when you plan
your motorized travels and want to get an overview. In the past I have
tagged the individual items there but I always felt the need to do more
than that.