Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 20:45:42 UTC 2021

RE: "Tagging this with extra tags is difficult because there usually is some
slope, and measuring it will be tedious at best, time consuming at
worst. Without a measurement, many fellow mappers will reject any
tagging - I'm not aware of any sensible tagging."

Railways can be rather steep so a tag of railway=abandoned is no guarantee
of minimal incline. E.g.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_steepest_gradients_on_adhesion_railways

Adding specific tags is better.

If you want to specify that a way is flat, you can use incline=0% (this has
been used over 32,000 times:
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/?key=incline#values).

If your GPS includes elevation information, you can probably determine
something like incline=5% for a long gradual uphill section, too: just
divide the elevation change by the total length of the climb,
E.g. 50 meters in 1 km = 5%.

If there is still an embankment or cutting , use embankment=yes or
cutting=yes
(You can additionally micro-map embankments with man_made=embankment)

-- Joseph Eisenberg