[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 21:44:06 UTC 2021

I took a good look at the pictures of the "Raststätte", literally "rest
places". They are purposely built for cyclists to pause/rest, with a
variation from just a standing pause, nothing else, to stop, sit, eat and
go. I think the main purpose is to keep the track clear, which we sorely
miss in Nederland. I would expect them to be especially at
"cycle-highways".
I think picnic area is not adequate. The Radraststätte are dedicates places
for cyclism, independent of what facilities are offered. If I were planning
a cycle tour, I would certainly like to see where they are. You could even
use them as meeting places, for a car/bicycle swap *

*  I drive the first half of the long way to a distant cousin we barely
know, my wife cycles, and at the meeting point my wife takes the wheel and
I continue on the bicycle. After the birthday party we drive back with the
bicycle on the rack. Love that! Mainly because I don't drink and my wife is
much more fun when she's had a few).

In short, if there was an adequate tag,  I would use it once these things
get hold in Nederland. We would probably not call them rest areas
(rustplaatsen) because that sounds like there are graves. I think
"fietshaltes" (bicycle stops) or would be the term, or something with
"pauze"(pause) in it, and they pobably would have numbers (refs).

Peter Elderson