[Tagging] Grouping buildings together using relations

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Tue Jan 5 02:04:41 UTC 2021

(Failed to send this to the tagging list, sorry the double-send Stefan)

On 1/4/2021 7:26 PM, Stefan Tauner wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jan 2021 00:12:47 +0000
> "Eric H. Christensen via Tagging" <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
>> After reviewing the wiki page[0] regarding the types of relations,
>> I'm not seeing a solution for what I'm trying to do.
>>
>> In an effort to make it easier to maintain several libraries that are
>> all in the same system and share much of the same information (like
>> opening_hours), I want to group these together in a relation so when
>> these commonalities change it makes it much easier update and keeps
>> the entire library system up to date.
>>
>> Is there an appropriate way to do this in a relation, today?
> I have used the site relation in the past for this.
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:site
> Example my alma mater TU Wien which is very spread out through the city:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/33319

There's a continuum here, but to my mind a university, even if it's
spread across a whole city, can be thought of a single site. The
branches of a library system, perhaps less so... I'd probably just put
matching operator=* or network=* tags on each of the branches. But if
you (Eric) are intent on doing a relation I don't think there's a better
type than "site". (You could do multipolygon if the the branches are all
entire buildings or otherwise mapped as polygons, but that's even worse
IMO, because a multipolygon really should be a single thing, not a
collection of things.)

Regardless, don't expect data consumers who are looking for library
opening_hours or other info to find them in the parent relation. You'll
still have to keep the tags up-to-date on each member. So again, I'm not
sure it's a useful exercise.

Good luck, Jason