[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Tue Jan 5 05:02:22 UTC 2021

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 10:50:27 -0600
Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> > When I read the first mail in this thread I was imagining more complete
> > rest areas as well like what you would find in Germany and Austria if
> > they are newly built:
> > https://www.google.com/search?q=radweg+rastplatz&tbm=isch
>

> I wouldn't call that a rest area.  Picnic area, sure.

Fair enough. But how does this differ from what is documented in the
wiki and especially the photo depicting such a place.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Drest_area
I have the feeling people discuss their own experiences with US/western
motorway restaurants and service areas where truckers often have a
dedicated parking space to sleep rather than rest areas as they are
documented in the wiki. We are not talking about highway=services which
seems to be more closely what is commonly known as rest area (cf. its
wikipedia page). Maybe I am confused but I think everybody else is! :D

> > I wouldn't mind changing the definition of highway=rest_area to include
> > such places that were built specifically for the purpose of hosting
> > resting cyclists.
> >

> Eeeh, that makes an important safety distinction unclear.  At proper rest
> areas, parking long enough to get 8 hours of rest is either designated or
> at least not unlawful.  Specific facility to sleep is not necessary, but
> being able to nod off for a while is.

No idea how you got the impression that highway=rest_area implies any
of that. Can you please clarify?