[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Jan 5 05:22:14 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 12:33 2021-01-03, Peter Elderson đã viết:
> I don't like the |-character for up to and including, because | is
> regularly used for OR.
>
> The usual character for a range is the hyphen. Anything else will lead
> to mapper errors, mixed use and other things causing uncertainty what
> was meant, hence guessing/extra processing at the data user side.

In [1], I mentioned the use of | in the :lanes tagging scheme, but the
"OR" use in opening_hours hadn't occurred to me. That makes an even
stronger argument to avoid overloading this character. The operator " to
" (with a space on either side) is already being used in several keys as
an optional, unambiguous range operator where either end of the range
could contain a hyphen.

[1]
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/addr:interval#Alternatives_to_the_vertical_bar

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us