[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:18:37 UTC 2021

2021-01-05, an, 21:38 Martin Koppenhoefer rašė:
> can you give an idea how many people are meeting this criterion
> compared to how many miss it? I think it isn’t completely unreasonable to
> require some mapping experience, but these numbers seem they might
> make voting a thing for a small selected group (just an impression, not
> based on numbers). A “mapped object” means a node part of a way is
> counted or just the way?

  I came up with that number by looking at stats of Lithuanian mappers.
  In Lithuania 100000 "last touch" objects would be met by 23 mappers
out of 2167 - so roughly 1%.
 100000 is not a very hard thing to do but a reasonable proof of
experience and involvement which is mandatory before doing any
proposals or voting. When deciding, people must understand where are
tags used (it is not only a value in a database), how much work it is
to change something not only in the database (where it is simplest),
but in all surrounding ecosystem. Currently too often discussion
deviates to the meaning of one or another word in one or another
language and almost never delves into important things such as "what
are people trying to DO with the tag?" - so basically writing a spec
without even trying to learn requirements.

  „Edits“ are: created/modified (last touched) objects.

  As mentioned earlier either we get a considerable portion of mappers
(not wikians) to vote (which is practically impossible), or there must
be some kind of expertise requirement. Requiring substantial
experience in editing is a very simple but of course not perfect way
to evaluate the voter.

P.S. I would be more concerned how to allow people with corresponding
experience outside of OSM (cartographers, gis, it experts) to bypass
such a limit without having to provide certificates or experience
reports (which would be not practical :-) But that should probably be
left for the future.

--
Tomas