[Tagging] Highway=rest_area on bicycle or foot routes ?

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 20:56:50 UTC 2021

On 05/01/2021 15.27, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 12:41 PM Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> On 05/01/2021 11.22, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>> A toilet and the ability to nod off (either in your vehicle or open air)
>>> is requisite.
>>
>> So what do you call an area off the highway that *doesn't* have toilets?
>> Especially if it's *signed* as a "rest area"? They aren't common, but
>> they do exist:
>>
>> https://www.eastcoastroads.com/states/nj/inter/i80/fullsize/80w19_09.jpg
>
> amenity=parking.

How many clients support that usage on a motorway?

I would expect e.g. a nav app to show me all rest areas, including ones
with no facilities. I might need to stop for some other reason, or I
might prefer a rest area to having to get off the motorway (especially
if it's a tollway) or having to pull off on the shoulder.

Especially as highway=rest_area already supports toilets=no...

--
Matthew