[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Marc_marc marc_marc at mailo.com
Wed Jan 6 09:08:46 UTC 2021

Le 06.01.21 à 07:00, Stefan Tauner a écrit :
> I am very much in favor of increasing the quorums of the
> votes by making the (voting on) proposals more visible

hum, incrasing the qhorum doesn't make the proposals more visible.
It's the opposite you should do: make a proposal, make it visible,
and if that succeeds, then we can discuss that all proposals should
be made that way.

> There are various ways to increasing voting participation

In addition to a slightly longer voting period and a systematic
advertisement in OsmWeekly (but also for the RFC), there is also
the problem of language: some mappers don't speak English, even don't
read english (and automatic translation for technical proposalt is
sometime very bad)
so getting them to vote on a proposal written in English is not
a matter of lack of publicity.
It would be interesting to make a comparison between the proposals of
François Lacombes translated into French and the one that are only in
English.
when a proposal is interesting, one should probably try to find
motivated people to translate the proposal (and not only translate the
page of the tag when the proposal is accepted)

another point that seems important to me is the lack of quality of some
negative votes: lack of participation in the RFC, systematic refusal if
too long, systematic refusal if depreciation of a tag. this is obviously
not encouraging (memory of the proposals on fire hydrants a few years
ago, it took too much proposal for the "too long to read" to stop with
this argument, they finally read just as much but in several times).

on the other hand it is true that some proposals have lacked quality in
the past, probably it would be better (=positively, not just by saying
"it's bad") to assist the beginner in improving his proposal