[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:42:26 UTC 2021

2021-01-06, tr, 12:55 Minh Nguyen rašė:
> Is the suggestion to require the input of developers of existing OSM
> data consumers and editors? Or is it to require some sort of background
> check or litmus test for voters? The latter would be unworkable on a
> wiki that supports a pseudonymous database with the ethos of expanding
> the craft of map data creation to a broader audience.

  As it is impossible (impractical) to check certificates (requiring
certificates on the level of GISP would reduce a number of voters
considerably:-D), my suggestion was to raise a higher margin of
something which would prove involvement and experience in OSM,
something which would be quite easy to calculate, therefore it could
be a number of objects last edited (this could be refined by
calculating specific operations, tags/domains used, editors used,
patterns etc.).

> What about experience in the real world? A back-office medical assistant
> would be more likely to point out deficiencies in a proposed healthcare
> tagging scheme than a certified GISP. A railfan may not carry any formal
> credentials in the fields you mentioned, but they would know the ins and
> outs of railway signals and have a strong opinion of what railway data
> is worth storing in the database. If someone proposes a tag that's
> subtly eurocentric, it may take a lay contributor from America or Africa
> to object on the grounds of regional or linguistic differences.

  This is all true, but railway fan may be carried away and introduce
too much details in higher level classification. So specific knowledge
is very good for specific areas, but Carto/GIS/IT is required for all
of them. Carto/GIS person could point out important things as topology
rules (mostly missing in current implementation and later emerging as
problems when creating maps) which would help putting schema being
discussed in the context as well as tidy it up.

--
Tomas