[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Thu Jan 7 02:20:35 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 16:04 2021-01-06, Seth Deegan đã viết:
> I am an active community member of the OSM World Discord Server and am
> the "usual person" who manually posts updates to what proposals are in
> what status on the #proposals channel of the server. The fact that I
> have to do this manually is quite annoying. We do have a Matrix-linked
> bot that posts tagging mailing list updates in a dedicated channel, but
> because proposal discussion and tagging discussion is mixed, we can't
> just add this to the #proposals channel. My posts are
> /extremely/ helpful to the members of the Discord Server since most are
> not subscribed to the mailing list. The votes and feedback from those
> that saw my proposal update posts in the server on recent proposals has
> made a noticeable impact on voter-participation and community input for
> all of them.

Kudos for posting those updates and generally trying to get people on
the same page. We haven't had someone doing that regularly on OSMUS
Slack, but I know people there respond to ad-hoc notices about tagging
proposal voting when they come up, so I'm sure a more reliable version
of that would be appreciated.

> /Solutions:/
> An announcement mailing list would work, but because it's a mailing
> list, it means that every other external communication channel (like
> Discord) outside of the mailing list itself would have to establish a
> middle-man bot that would post these updates to their channel from the
> mailing list.
>
> A better option would be to have a dedicated webhook, SMS, or other
> option that can broadcast updates proposal status much more bot-friendly
> and possibly provide better formatting than what an email can. Options
> include:
>
>   * Dedicated form or site similar to OSMcal that any user can post
>     their proposal updates to.
>   * Wiki bot that broadcasts a notification every time one of the
>     Proposal Status Categories on the Wiki gets a page added/removed
>     (unfortunately adding a category to a watchlist doesn't mean new
>     pages added to the category give notifications
>     <https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?title=Topic:W05td0g2ftxou8dc>)
>   * Or something else?

Even before thinking about automation, there may be low-hanging fruit to
improve the proposal process's discoverability, assuming we want to keep
the process in its current form. Currently, a mapper has to follow five
links from the wiki's main page to get to a proposal that's in
"proposed" status (if they're even familiar with the eight statuses):

1. "Map features" in the sidebar or on the main page leads to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features
2. "Proposed features" in the fourth paragraph leads to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features
3. "Proposals by status" leads to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposed_features
4. "Proposals with 'Proposed' status" leads to
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_by_status
5. A hopefully descriptively titled link leads to the proposal

Even in the absence of new extensions, I figure we could make more
extensive use of templates and categories to implement a section on the
main page that can surface interesting discussions. For example, the
news template [1] had only three items in all of 2020 -- how about
adding every RFC to that box?

If we do need automation, then the lightweight DynamicPageList extension
would be a lightweight solution [2], though it wouldn't provide
notifications like the other extensions proposed below.

> *Updated Information/Proposals:*
> I have created 2 topics/proposals for the Wiki on it's Meta page that
> solve the "Talk page source editing only" problem and the proposal
> notification problem (however further automation could be added) using
> MediaWiki extensions.
>
>   * Add Structured Discussions (Flow) Extension
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki#Add_Structured_Discussions_.28Flow.29_Extension>:
>     Changes talk pages using this extension to this user-friendly page
>     that allows for easy conversations.
>   * Add CategoryWatch Extension
>     <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki#Add_CategoryWatch_Extension>:
>     "extends watchlist functionality to include notification about
>     membership changes of watched categories"

These are both pretty neat extensions. Hopefully they wouldn't impact
the wiki's maintainability from a sysadmin perspective. Flow is only
deployed in a limited fashion on Wikimedia wikis, but I think that's due
to the community's attachment to wikitext-based discussions. For us,
anyone who loves monospaced text enough can still post to this mailing
list. :-D

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:News
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki#DynamicPageList_extension

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us