[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 04:55:03 UTC 2021

It's normal that sometimes things will only be obvious when reading the
proposal again before voting, even if someone has commented before.

I am quite active on the wiki and usually read all proposals when they are
drafted and again when they are formally proposed with a RFC, and often
comment. But sometimes the proposal changes significantly after the RFC,
and I haven't read all of the new comments. Or another user points out a
serious problem which isn't addressed.

Since many proposals are drafted but never move to a vote, I tend to assume
that poorly-written proposals will just be abandoned. This is often true:
compare the number of proposals in each status right now:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_by_status

1) Draft status (334) - see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_with_%22Draft%22_status
- mostly abandoned
2) Abandoned or canceled status (605) + (34)
3) Proposed status (207)
Vs
4) Approved (295)
5) rejected (112)

So there are near 1100 proposals which never moved forward versus only a
little over 400 which were approved or rejected: almost 3 out of 4 are
never brought to a vote. This makes it sensible to not spend too much time
discussing a proposal unless the author seems serious and well organized.

-- Joseph Eisenberg