[Tagging] Changing proposal process rules - RFC

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 06:34:35 UTC 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 14:57, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's normal that sometimes things will only be obvious when reading the
> proposal again before voting, even if someone has commented before.
>
> I am quite active on the wiki and usually read all proposals when they are
> drafted and again when they are formally proposed with a RFC, and often
> comment. But sometimes the proposal changes significantly after the RFC,
> and I haven't read all of the new comments. Or another user points out a
> serious problem which isn't addressed.

OK, so as I mentioned earlier, change things so that proposals start at
Draft only & they don't get advertised / published anywhere - they're only
for your viewing while you're still working on them.

Once you decide it's right to go, update the status to Underway, then
advice gets sent to the "RFC / Voting List", so everybody can have a read.

When you decide that it's ready for voting, you go in "today" & change
status to Voting. System automatically sets voting to start in 3 / 5 / 7
days, & sends another message to the "RFC / Voting List" to say that
"Voting on xxx proposal will start on xx/xx/xxxx. Please submit any final
comments before that date."

At that date, voting starts on the final proposal as is, with no further
comments / amendments allowed.

(This final start date should also be alterable by the Proposer, so if 15
comments are made on the final day, they have a chance to answer them, or
amend things)

Doable?

Since many proposals are drafted but never move to a vote, I tend to assume
> that poorly-written proposals will just be abandoned. This is often true:
> compare the number of proposals in each status right now:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_by_status
>
> 1) Draft status (334) - see
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposals_with_%22Draft%22_status
> - mostly abandoned
> 2) Abandoned or canceled status (605) + (34)
> 3) Proposed status (207)
> Vs
> 4) Approved (295)
> 5) rejected (112)
>
> So there are near 1100 proposals which never moved forward versus only a
> little over 400 which were approved or rejected: almost 3 out of 4 are
> never brought to a vote. This makes it sensible to not spend too much time
> discussing a proposal unless the author seems serious and well organized.

Of that list, the only ones that I would think anybody needs to check are
the 207 at Proposed status?

Thanks

Graeme