[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu Jan 7 18:28:32 UTC 2021

Jan 7, 2021, 19:09 by pelderson at gmail.com:

> Jmapb <> jmapb at gmx.com> >:
>
>> We don't want housenumbers to turn into regexes.
>>

> That's a strawman argument, and an argumentum ad populum. I did not see anybody suggesting regexp in housenumbers, that's the strawman, and We is the argumentum ad populum, but I'll let that go because I agree!
>
> However, meaningful punctiation is not regexp, and this would not be the first case in OSM.

I can state it in more accurate way:

if I am entering single housenumber with weird characters such as ( ) or | or ' or "
there should be no need to escape them.

As this would make it

- incomprehensible for most of mappers
- redefine all existing addr:housenumber

New tag for storing extra info is preferable over redefining existing one.