[Tagging] Grouping buildings together using relations

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:55:10 UTC 2021

Universities which have campuses in more than one country or more than one
city are always going to have some local administration and practical
management on the ground in each place.

Similarly, while the "University of California" is a single "University" on
paper,  in practice UCLA, UC Berkeley, UCSD etc are each operated as
separate universities which happen to share some State funding and a single
board of Regents. Similarly,

I recommend mapping each campus as a separate area, and using additional
tags like network=* or operator=* or similar to show connections if
necessary. We should map the geographical features, not the legal corporate
structure.

In the same way, we wouldn't map all Google offices around the world as a
single multipolygon - or even all the Google offices around the San
Francisco area.

-- Joseph Eisenberg