[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Jan 7 23:21:41 UTC 2021

On 1/7/2021 2:41 PM, Jmapb wrote:

> Would it also be advantageous to assert that a range-like address is
> not a range? I'd hope that, knowing that any hyphens found in a
> housenumber are just for formatting, a geocoder could then index the
> housenumber without hyphens. This would allow digit-only address
> searches to work in Queens without requiring the correct hyphen
> placement. Which would be good because it's not uncommon for
> Queensians to omit the hyphen in both speech and writing. (This
> currently works in Apple, Google, Here, and Bing maps, by the way.)

Been rethinking this and checking over the data. The suggestion (my
suggestion) that geocoders index a de-hyphenated version of all
non-range hyphenated addresses does not hold up under scrutiny.

First of all, just looking in Queens, the hyphenated addresses are not
all in the XX-YY or XXX-YY format. You'll see XX-Y or XXX-Y at start of
some blocks. It looks like addresses where the post-hyphen portion is
less than ten were padded with a zero when the addresses were applied to
an entire imported building way, but not when the addresses were
imported as a nodes, which was how multiple-address buildings were done.

Eg, 65-1 174th Street https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2552890712
versus 65-04 174th Street https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/248516462

In this context, indexing 65-04 as 6504 makes sense, indexing 65-1 as
651 does not. In fact I think 65-1 and similar are probably errors, but
that's going to take some more investigation.

Second, scanning through the world beyond Queens, I see that it's not at
all uncommon to have an address with a hyphenated numeric suffix. It's
very common in the Netherlands. Here's an example, Utrechtseweg 13-9 in
Hilvesum: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2878703055
It's not a range (obviously) but I seriously doubt that it would be
correct to index it as Utrechtseweg 139 -- especially since Utrechtseweg
139 is down here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2878370113

I still feel it's a serious compromise in map usability to require
correct hyphen placement to search Queens addresses (and apparently
Apple, Google, Here, and Bing agree) but I don't know how best to crack
this nut. The addr:interval proposal is a related issue, but it's not a
complete solution.

Jason