[Tagging] maxspeed:signed=no - new proposed tag

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri Jan 8 06:12:14 UTC 2021

On Jan 7, 2021, at 3:40 PM, Minh Nguyen <minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us> wrote:
> The point of tagging speed limits is to give the user a best possible general answer. Recording the first step in a multi-step process of determining that answer, however unusable on its own, doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Minh has offered the list another thoughtful and wonderfully comprehensive answer.  As he and I drive in the same jurisdictions (plus he seems to know his traffic law and while I’m not an attorney, I have fought and won any number of traffic, usually speeding tickets), I agree with not only his characterizations of the mildly fuzzy nature of “what is the speed limit right here and now?” but also with his “point” above.

This point is indeed a “first step in a multi-step process of determining that answer.”  We should all take a pause to realize how much that exact sentiment is very, very frequently used as a basis for mapping in OSM.  It is indeed “not such a bad idea,” as I know personally and from and with others I have mapped with in this project that if I / we can get 85%, 90%, 95% of “what is right” into the map (leaving the other fraction not WRONG, but perhaps “mildly incomplete,”) that is a worthy contribution to OSM.  Getting it to 98%, 99% and yes, 100% “another day” is OK.  It isn’t ideal, but I’ll take “95% correct” in a map compared to “0% and I’m lost…" any day of the week.  95% earned me an A in school, anyway, and while I do strive for an A+ or perfection, I’ll take 95% if I can’t achieve 100% “today.”

I do consider 85% to be my personal “floor” of completeness (not quality) as I add data to OSM.  YMMV.

SteveA