[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 11:32:09 UTC 2021

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 08:30, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:

> In this area, (n)  at the end of the housenumber string where n must be a
> positive integer value, could be used as a range indicator, without
> altering anything to current handling by Nominatim.
>
> Combine that with the requirement of a hyphen in the same string, and I
> bet that not many single housenumbers will pass that filter, worldwide
> (that's a challenge!)

There will probably be one.  And Kevin Kenny will know it. :)

I don't think we can find any character that is readily available on most
keyboards that we can guarantee won't be used as part of an address
number.  Some people even objected to | as being hard to type!

The only way I can see of handling it is to split an interpolated address
range into prefix, range start, suffix, and increment, each with its
own namespaced tag.  Prefix and suffix are both optional.  Increment
might be optional if we can agree on a default.  By making them
each tags we don't need to worry about avoiding/escaping
certain characters.

For Queens, prefix would be something like "122-", no suffix.

It would be clunky to enter as raw tags but editors might manage to
simplify matters in their GUI.

--
Paul