[Tagging] RFC 2 - addr:interval

Sarah Hoffmann lonvia at denofr.de
Fri Jan 8 16:38:43 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 08, 2021 at 11:13:49AM -0500, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 10:45 AM Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia at denofr.de> wrote:
>
> > Even with an extra tag, parsing of complexer examples is unlikely to
> > happen unless there is a) a significant use with cases that cannot
> > be mapped as addr:interpolation or separate address points and b)
> > the parsing doesn't involve guessing again. The current proposals
> > don't really meet b) yet. (Bonus points, if it also covers alphabetic
> > ranges: 13a-f) And I have no idea how many cases of a) really exist.
> >

> I don't actually know whether https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/491160765
> would fit your definition or not.
>
> The reason that it's not mapped with separate address points is that I have
> no idea where to place them.  The units share a common entrance (with all
> eight housenumbers on the doorposts). The common entrance is a security
> door with bells for the eight units. There was no real opportunity to
> wander about and discern the layout of the individual units. (But they are
> addressed as '501 Connor Court', etc.)

Yes, this is the only situation I can currently imagine where the
interpolation schema on a building/node is really needed: multiple
addresses share a common entrance.

> And, in fact, I'm not too dissatisfied with the current tagging - except
> for rendering. I know that it's a common mistake here to simply wave one's
> hands and talk about a 'sufficiently smart renderer', but I actually do
> think that a renderer at least in theory could take a consecutive sequence
> like this and decide to render it as a range. - and this would be
> preferable to doing any change to the data model that will break things.

Well, the semicolon-separated list already breaks the definition of containing
exactly one housenumber. So, I understand when the renderer writers dig their
heels in in this case and tell you: garbage in, garbage out. ;)

Nominatim curently understands the schema and finds the housenumbers but it
makes no efford to return you a sensible display name either:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/search?query=connor%20court%20502%2Cniskayuna
Interstingly I've never had complaints about that.

Sarah