[Tagging] Sewage, tailings, and evaporators

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 04:09:18 UTC 2021

During the ongoing discussion on the RFC for reservoirs, lakes, and
ponds[1], a commenter pointed out that there is a key "reservoir_type"
which says "this attribute determines the type of a water basin".  It goes
on (confusingly) to say that this tag is used in connection with a
reservoir (tagged either landuse=reservoir or natural=water +
water=reservoir).

The values of this key are water_storage, sewage, tailings, and evaporator.

This suggests that there is some community use of reservoir tagging for
sewage, tailings and evaporator ponds.  I think that these classes of
objects should be excluded from the definition of a reservoir (and
natural=water), and that a reservoir should ONLY be for water storage.  The
combined usage of sewage+tailings+evaporators is about 12,000 (which is
tiny compared to reservoir/basin/water tagging).

In order to "clear the way" for the reservoir definition, I believe we need
to deal with these cases to explicitly exclude them from the reservoir
definition.  I am planning to write up a proposal for this, but I'd like to
run the concept by the community first to see if there is support.

The proposal would do the following:

1. Deprecate the reservoir_type key, and water storage reservoirs would
simply be tagged as a reservoir.
2. (reservoir tagging) + reservoir_type=sewage becomes landuse=basin +
basin=sewage
3. (reservoir tagging) + reservoir_type=tailings becomes landuse=basin +
basin=tailings
4. (reservoir tagging) + reservoir_type=evaporator becomes landuse=salt_pond

There is some existing usage under each of the proposed replacement tags.

Would you support a proposal for this change, and are the proposed
replacement tags the right replacement?

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Reservoir