[Tagging] maxspeed:signed=no - new proposed tag

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 15:53:01 UTC 2021

Am Sa., 9. Jan. 2021 um 16:12 Uhr schrieb Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com
>:

> This reply is to Martin mainly: if you are convinced of this proposal, and
> I am completely confused, I  guess I have to ask you kindly to explain how
> you think this could work.
> My reference frame is UK, Germany, Italy, Austria.

I meant to say I was convinced that it could be useful for their location,
in particular the case that you are surveying in an area and can confirm
there is no sign, but you also do not know which defaults apply, because
they change in every county. I do not believe it is useful for UK, Germany,
Italy, Austria or other European countries, where the number of defaults is
quite limited and you usually know which one applies (which traffic zone
you are in), but this shouldn't hinder them to use it where it is useful.

> Italy has some strange weather-dependent speed limits on motorways (50km/
> for "fog" an 110km/h foer "rain")

you also have them for fog in Germany, 50km/h max if visibility is inferior
to 50 meters (also if caused by snowfall or rain), and even less (without
specifying an exact number) if you can hardly see your engine hood ;-)
In Germany there is also overtaking=no @visibility < 50m

I guess these wheather dependent limits are the kind of cases where you
should not add the general legislation as tag to every osm object.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Good_practice#Don.27t_map_your_local_legislation.2C_if_not_bound_to_objects_in_reality

> In which case is the proposed tag to be set?
>
>    1. Only when I am surveying on the ground or by armchair mapping *with*
>    street-level imagery, and I am not sure what the value is (because I did
>    not pay attention or whatever),

I believe the only way to be "sure" that no maxspeed is signposted is when
you are on the ground. From street level imagery you risk of missing a
sign. If you have very good coverage, it might be possible. It is not
something we must codify IMHO, I'd leave it to the responsibility of the
mappers. I would also see these "unsigned" tags as preliminary, maybe
better than nothing, but not sufficient to answer the maxspeed question.

> *case 1* is relatively rare and I would possibly use "fixme=speed limit
> to checked" (no need for the proposed new tag)

I am very reluctant with setting "fixme" tags, I would only set them if I
notice something probably wrong, which I cannot solve at the time I
discover it, and not for information that is missing, but I reckon people
may see it differently.

Cheers,
Martin