[Tagging] maxspeed:signed=no - new proposed tag

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sat Jan 9 19:44:12 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 10:12 2021-01-09, Volker Schmidt đã viết:
> What I missed, and we have to make this 100% clear, that this is an
> exceptional tag, which signals a missing information that you cannot
> solve and that needs to be put right by someone typically on the ground.
> But if it's something not frequent, why not use fixme instead of
> creating a new tag.

Personally, I see these situations as being potentially very frequent --
ignoring the current reality that many areas subject to default speed
limits happen to be areas with fewer mappers and that we can always use
more field surveyors. The fixme=* key is useful, but it's human-readable
and unstructured, so it can't be addressed as systematically as a
dedicated tag.

It reminds me of the difficulty I faced converting many of the
note:lanes=* tags that NE2 left ("left lane is hov, 3 forward, 1
backward") into modern lanes tags. It would've been easier if they had
coined some structured keys instead. If we were to simply reserve a
specific fixme=* value for this partial speed limit tagging workflow,
then the key becomes all the more awkward for having different data
types depending on the situation.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us