[Tagging] maxspeed:signed=no - new proposed tag

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 21:40:21 UTC 2021

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 22:10, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 20:34, Lorenzo Mastrogiacomi <lomastrolo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> A fixme would make sense if we were to indicate something missing on the
>> map but the proposal is to map something missing on the ground.
>>

> What we need, then, is fixreality=*.  The only problem is we'd end up with
> a lot of those on the map.  There's a lot of reality that needs fixing.

I read Matheusz' proposal completely differently. In his original mail in
this thread he says:

"(4) tagging exact speed limit info therefore requires both survey to
confirm
that no signed speed limits applies and legal analysis (or using output of
that)
and extra information. Right now mapper is supposed to do both in one step
what is not feasible.

Having "maxspeed:signed=no" to tag "there is no signed maxspeed here,
no speed limits signs, zoned speed limit does not apply, default
legal regulation apply" would allow sane survey that does not require
consulting local legislation to tag speed limits."

So this describes exactly what my fixme would do:

   1. Mapper A comes along. There is no sign, and he does not know the
   exact legal situation at this place. He puts a fixme-like tag on that way
   with the precise code word for "legal situation to be checked and added"
   2. Mapper B comes along and happens to be a legal expert and resolves
   mapper A's fixme.

In addition I fear a mapper may find this thing in the wiki and use it at
face value and put it where he sees no speed limit sign on the ground on a
road in Padova that has an implicit 50km/h speed limit that has not been
mapped because of my laziness.