[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tailing ponds

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Sun Jan 10 06:58:15 UTC 2021

Vào lúc 18:48 2021-01-09, Joseph Eisenberg đã viết:
> While I understand that you dislike the use of natural=water or other
> water-related tags for these ponds, I suspect that they are over 90%
> water. Consider that sea water is only 96.5% H2O on average, and some
> natural salt lakes are over 30% salts: these are mapped as
> natural=water + water=lake + salt=yes -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersaline_lake
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypersaline_lake>

I think the specific concentration of solvent is beside the point. A
tailings pond is no more related to a duck pond than a swimming pool or
marsh. Yet we have top-level tags for swimming pools and marshes
because, in practical terms, they serve quite a different purpose, and
it's common for renderers or search engines to give those aqueous
solutions different treatment. You refer to these tags as "other
water-related tags", so I would simply add a new top-level,
water-related tag for tailings ponds. (Wouldn't defining natural=water
as 90+% water concentration also put pig lagoons under natural=water?)

I've noted in other threads that topographic maps go so far as to fill
tailing ponds with a starkly different color. I suppose other maps may
choose to give them the same treatment as ponds, while search engines
probably aren't very relevant in this case. Our decision on giving
tailings ponds a tag separate from natural=water should be based on
these considerations, not splitting hairs about chemical composition.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us