[Tagging] Medical imaging facility

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jan 10 08:47:13 UTC 2021

Jan 10, 2021, 09:19 by stefan.tauner at gmx.at:

> On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 17:32:37 -0800
> Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In the USA there are many private medical imaging facilities where you can
>> get x-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI etc, with a doctor's order.
>>
>> I'm surprised we don't have a tag for this.
>>
>> There are a number of specialty imaging centers in my city, and I send
>> patients there when I want them to get outpatient imaging done: e.g.
>> https://www.mycdi.com/locations/portland/ - and there are many more which
>> are inside of a larger clinic or hospital.
>>
>> Tags in use include healthcare=radiology - though this is a bit ambiguous -
>> perhaps amenity=medical_imaging or healthcare=medical_imaging is clearer?
>> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/healthcare=radiology
>>

> I don't see how radiology is ambiguous - I think this is the correct
> term in this context, quote WP: «In the clinical context, "invisible
> light" medical imaging is generally equated to radiology or "clinical
> imaging" and the medical practitioner responsible for interpreting (and
> sometimes acquiring) the images is a radiologist.»

For me (not an expert, not a native speaker, limited personal experience so far)
my initial thought before looking at definitions is to think about
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_therapy

Note header and explicit "is distinct from radiology" in the third paragraph,
so this confusion is not unique to me.