[Tagging] Deprecating operational_status and especially values such as operational_status=closed

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jan 10 09:50:54 UTC 2021

Some objects like https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3158114573 are tagged
with tags that I consider very problematic: operational_status=closed

amenity=restaurant
operational_status=closed

is not a good idea at all.

On objects such as restaurants, it is preferable to simply delete closed ones,
maybe use lifecycle prefixes if it is very likely that someone would remap
it or there are remains (signage, visible equipment and so on), resulting
in

disused:restaurant=yes

as restaurant that become disused is not a restaurant anymore
(the same goes for shops)

For disused quarries, buildings, mineshafts and so on
it may be useful to add disused=yes that is also preferable
to operational_status=closed as tag in more significant use
and preferable to lifecycle prefix as disused building is still a building

building=church
disused=yes

overall operational_status=closed specifically and
operational_status in general should not be used and deprecated

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operational_status
was already described as "now discouraged", I added
now also status=deprecated

I also created https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:operational_status%3Dclosed

If someone disagrees with deprecating this tag it would be a good
moment to protest or reactivate
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:operational_status