[Tagging] landuse=depot?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jan 10 11:18:25 UTC 2021

In my opinion landuse=depot is a mistake and should not be used.

I have seen this tag used (or seriously proposed) for aircraft boneyards,
container depots, storage of military vehicles, stockpile of goods, railway depot,
bus depot and everything else called depot.

tagging like

landuse=industrial industrial=depot
landuse=industrial industrial=warehouse
landuse=military military=depot
landuse=commercial commercial=depot
landuse=commercial commercial=vehicle_depot
seems to be strictly preferable and I used it in my area.

Jan 10, 2021, 11:53 by f at zz.de:

> It seems this landuse value is only proposed but the wiki page makes
> people think this is an established tag people should use.

Are people reading https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Ddepot
or some other page?

Because it rather complains that it is a bad idea
(I have not edited it to be even stronger - I already added complaints
that it is a bad idea, retagged many in my area and closed
rendering request, describing it as 100% bad idea on my own
would be definitely going too far)

> Arguments of mine that this is a refinement of a commercial/industrial
> landuse and should be an man_made or amenity have all been brought
> up in the carto rendering requests and thus these requests have all been
> denied.

For rendering requests see:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1716

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2989

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3480

For alternative tagging requests:
carto rendering requests are a bad place to make them

> Still the wiki page for landuse=depot exists and attracts more usage
> or as i would say "abuse" ...
>

> Is there any consensus on landuse=depot to be either established,
> removed or brought to voting?

I would support retagging to better tagging.