[Tagging] Deprecating operational_status and especially values such as operational_status=closed

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 22:21:06 UTC 2021

I support deprecation.

A feature that is temporarily disused can still be tagged in the usual way
with disused:amenity=restaurant
Or landuse=quarry + disused=yes

When the feature is operational again, then remove the disused prefix or
disused=yes tag.

operational_status=closed is just a duplicate of these more widely used
tagging methods.

(I believe historically it developed in the Humanitarian mapping community,
where there was not always much discussion or search for other existing
tags)

-- Joseph Eisenberg