[Tagging] Classifying hospitals (Was: Deprecate healthcare=centre)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 10:17:51 UTC 2021

Am So., 10. Jan. 2021 um 11:33 Uhr schrieb Stefan Tauner <
stefan.tauner at gmx.at>:

> > Private facilities that aren't equipped for any form of surgery or
> > emergency, but are intended to treat people for things like drug &/or
> > alcohol dependency.
> >
> > Similar to these, dedicated mental hospitals.
>
> As a European I don't get why "private" is mentioned so often in these
> discussions.

I am also European and can assure you the situation in Europe really isn't
homogenous at all, variations from one country to another vary by large
(maybe not much between Austria and Germany, but definitely in other
countries). I agree that "private" is not a clear term and is not the kind
of information you are most interested in.

> It is completely irrelevant who pays for the treatment
> when discussing the treatment facility itself.

It is completely relevant for someone searching for a place to get medical
treatment, whether they will have to pay the treatment themselves or if it
will be paid for by someone else (national health service, health insurance
etc.). I agree we should try to capture some aspects of this at least. For
example in Italy there are many privately run places which have agreements
/ are recognized by the national health service and it will be paid as if
you went to a publicly run structure. This is very relevant for almost
everyone.

> Should we distinguish better between places that you can go to for

> > emergency medical treatment, & others that can't do anything for you,
> than
> > just an emergency=yes?
>
> I don't see how something else would improve anything. In case of an
> *emergency* I would definitely try any place that remotely looks like
> there could be medical staff be around :)

There are also places which have only a specialized emergency departments,
e.g. I have seen places for just gynocological emergencies, similarly if
you have injured your eye it might be best to go to an ophthalmic hospital
while for any other injury it will probably be a bad decision (assuming you
have the comfort of choice, in most parts of the countryside and far from
cities you might not find these highly specialized hospitals anyway).

Cheers
Martin