[Tagging] Classifying hospitals (Was: Deprecate healthcare=centre)

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Mon Jan 11 10:49:06 UTC 2021

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:17:51 +0100
Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> > As a European I don't get why "private" is mentioned so often in these
> > discussions.
>

> I am also European and can assure you the situation in Europe really isn't
> homogenous at all, variations from one country to another vary by large
> (maybe not much between Austria and Germany, but definitely in other
> countries). I agree that "private" is not a clear term and is not the kind
> of information you are most interested in.
>

> > It is completely irrelevant who pays for the treatment
> > when discussing the treatment facility itself.
>

> It is completely relevant for someone searching for a place to get medical
> treatment, whether they will have to pay the treatment themselves or if it
> will be paid for by someone else (national health service, health insurance
> etc.). I agree we should try to capture some aspects of this at least. For
> example in Italy there are many privately run places which have agreements
> / are recognized by the national health service and it will be paid as if
> you went to a publicly run structure. This is very relevant for almost
> everyone.

The subject of the discussion is how we can better cover the overlaps/
gaps between healthcare=doctor, clinic and hospital. You are dragging my
statements completely out of that context. Let me be more blunt: I am
pretty sure nobody wants to propose heathcare=private_clinic,
healthcare:speciality=very_expensive_eye_surgery_only_covered_by_healthcorp
etc. These aspects can be covered if somebody feelds like it but they
are irrelevant when defining tagging schemes for globally-used
categories of healthcare facilities.

> assuming you have the comfort of choice

If you have the liberty to query OSM and decide where you want to seek
medical assistance then it is not a medical emergency in my book.