[Tagging] landuse=depot?

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Mon Jan 11 17:20:33 UTC 2021

On Jan 11, 2021, at 1:29 AM, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd say, given the pretense they operate under, that they're depots, but some
> object to landuse=depot.  So landuse=cemetery + religion=aviation. :)

I can't agree with this (the :) prompts me to think it's tongue-in-cheek), nor do I like landuse=depot, as it's much too vague.  In my opinion, landuse=depot could only be used if it had a richly-developed set of sub-tag values (like depot=aircraft_scrapyard).  But that is "reaching" and I feel strains the limits of both understandability and shared identity of the entity / entities we attempt to describe in this class of objects.  This work (tagging categorization) isn't always easy.

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 at 22:55, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefitz1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> ATM, there are lots of places around the world where commercial aircraft are sitting unused, but mothballed
> eg https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/83eefe0f513237ffe4c4d34b704b98cf?width=1280
>
> They are not being scrapped for spare parts so it's not an industrial area, they certainly aren't generating any revenue for the airlines that own them, so they're not commercial, so what do you call the area?

Paul replies:
> In reality they are dumps.  But we're supposed to recycle rather than
> dump stuff, so we pretend there is a possibility they will be put back
> into service.

This, I can actually get behind.  "Dump" is technically true, although "recycling center" (of a very, aviation-specialized nature) seems more correct.  However, landuse=landfill isn't correct, so I still think we might need to coin a specific value like "aircraft_scrapyard."

Ports, with cranes, are most certainly industrial areas:  OSM already agrees that areas of warehouses are industrial, although I have seen them as commercial, especially when they are public access "self storage" commercial entities.  And a port is an almost quintessentially industrial area (often with rail or other heavy transport infrastructure).  There doesn't need for "anything to be manufactured" in an area for it to be landuse=industrial:  I use this on fenced areas at the top of hills for man_made=water_tower, around electrical substations, around a gas distribution pipeline access point which comes to the surface with safety valves, etc.  These are not "manufacturing" places, but they most certainly are industrial land uses.

SteveA