[Tagging] Is shelter=separate wanted? What is the meaning of shelter=yes

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Tue Jan 12 09:33:06 UTC 2021

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:16:05 +0100 (CET)
Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> shelter=separate was recently added to page documenting shelter key
>
> See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:shelter&diff=2012123&oldid=1990179
>
> It effectively redefined shelter=yes from "this bus stop has shelter" to
> "this bus stop has shelter that is not separately mapped"
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/shelter#values
> shelter=yes has 557 951 uses
> shelter=separate has 245 uses
>
> I want to explicitly describe shelter=yes as "it means that given object has shelter. It may
> or may be not mapped as a separate amenity=shelter object"
>
> And describe shelter=separate as unwanted value that should not be used

I think the point of shelter=separate is to allow data users to
determine if the stop has a shelter even if it is separately mapped
without the need to do an additional search around the stop for it.
That intention is good IMHO but I guess it would be better to do this
in a relation and there should be a clear hint on the shelter page to do
that with https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstop_area