[Tagging] Is shelter=separate wanted? What is the meaning of shelter=yes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 09:37:36 UTC 2021

Am Di., 12. Jan. 2021 um 10:18 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org>:

> shelter=separate was recently added to page documenting shelter key
>
> See
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:shelter&diff=2012123&oldid=1990179
>
> It effectively redefined shelter=yes from "this bus stop has shelter" to
> "this bus stop has shelter that is not separately mapped"
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/shelter#values
> shelter=yes has 557 951 uses
> shelter=separate has 245 uses
>
> I want to explicitly describe shelter=yes as "it means that given object
> has shelter. It may
> or may be not mapped as a separate amenity=shelter object"
>
> And describe shelter=separate as unwanted value that should not be used

this is an interesting topic. A similar case is amenity=bank with atm=yes.
Going by the logics of the system, these are properties for another object
(which can also be and is mapped separately). I was not aware of this
emerging new value, but I can find some sense in it. Given the numbers,
rather than

> It effectively redefined shelter=yes from "this bus stop has shelter" to
> "this bus stop has shelter that is not separately mapped"

I would see it as redefining to "this bus stop has a shelter, which may
have been separately mapped and in which case you are invited to change yes
to separate".
It would take some time to be widely adopted, and in the meantime
dataconsumers would have to treat "separate" as a "yes" value for some
specific analysis (generally, if you are looking for the feature described
in the property and not aware of the separate value, you would typically
still catch the feature (shelter / atm etc.), as it is also explicitly
mapped).

On the other hand, if you want to know the number of features in an area,
it is important to avoid counting the same object several times because it
is mapped and also "present" as a property.

I see a case for not deprecating it.

Cheers
Martin