[Tagging] Is shelter=separate wanted? What is the meaning of shelter=yes

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jan 12 09:59:42 UTC 2021

Jan 12, 2021, 10:43 by dieterdreist at gmail.com:

> Am Di., 12. Jan. 2021 um 10:40 Uhr schrieb Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> >:
>

>> The problem is that there is not even plan to how handle over half million
>> just redefined shelter=yes, many of them retroactively made incorrect
>>

> they are not redefined. The tag means the thing has a shelter, and it may be separately mapped or not, just like it is now. Same definition. The difference is that with "separate" you know it has a shelter and it is separately mapped.

I just encountered people claiming in discussion that =yes value is incorrect if it is mapped
as a separate object

For now I added to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:shelter note that shelter=yes means
"There is a shelter, it may or may not be mapped separately as a nearby element with amenity=shelter."

I have not made change that would either discourage shelter=separate or encourage
retagging shelter=yes to shelter=separate if separately mapped shelter exists