[Tagging] Is shelter=separate wanted? What is the meaning of shelter=yes

Stefan Tauner stefan.tauner at gmx.at
Tue Jan 12 10:04:42 UTC 2021

On Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:38:05 +0100 (CET)
Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:

> The problem is that there is not even plan to how handle over half million
> just redefined shelter=yes, many of them retroactively made incorrect

I see your point.

> In this case I see no reason to redefine existing tag and introduce more work for
> mappers.

Well, eventually we have to go through them all anyway (or have this
tag redundantly remain for backwards compatibility) but I am with you.
The change makes the situation worse.

Still, the hint to the relation should be added ;)
And we should discuss if we should introduce something like separated
but without changing the meaning of =yes. There should be a way to
distinguish the legacy/current meaning "yes, there is a shelter
associated with this stop - either tagged separately or not" and "yes,
there is one but it is separately mapped (and part of the
public_transport=stop_area relation)".
We could re-use the "separate" value for that and verify the bunch of
existing usages.

And apparently that is what you have already decided during our
discussion here? That previous change was in July. Thanks for fixing it
but I don't really appreciate doing this while it is being discussed...