[Tagging] Discussion & possible deprecation of various Lifeguard tags

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 22:27:04 UTC 2021

Thanks

Graeme

On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 at 19:57, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So no distinction between tower and platform with the new tags?

I'd call both of the two examples I added, "towers"

A platform, I'd say is only one of these:
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/FW6BHR/daytona-beach-with-the-lifeguard-on-the-observation-platform-florida-FW6BHR.jpg
which is an elevated mobile chair, that gets located in a different spot
each day, so therefore not a permanent feature.

I agree with adding man_made=tower + tower:type=observation but we should
> also be adding access=private to prevent people thinking these are public
> observation towers they can access.

Good point, thanks!

building=lifeguard is tricky because most of the time these buildings are
> specifically designed and built as lifeguard towers, but do we need a new
> lifeguard value or would building=hut work (small basic shelter).

It probably would, or even just building=yes, but it was pointed out during
the proposal for military bases that we should tag them as
building=military for people trying to see "How many xxx are there?", so I
thought the same idea should apply?

I don't think we should outright replace the
> lifeguard_base/lifeguard_tower/lifeguard_platform values unless you can
> show where they don't work well?

I don't think it's that they don't work well, as that they're all pretty
well duplicates of each other?

I've been using the established supervised=yes tag on a beach to indicate
> if it is patrolled, and while all patrolled beaches are supervised=yes, I
> guess this might not always be the case when the beach itself is supervised
> for rules etc, but these people don't conduct water rescues. So with that
> in mind I think it's okay to establish lifeguard=yes for patrolled beaches
> (where personnel are on hand to conduct water rescues of swimmers) and
> leave supervised=yes for the more general case of some officials monitoring
> the beach area itself who may or may not enter the water.

That would also work for the beach in general, together with the lifeguard
tag to show just where they are, if they have a permanent spot.

Though ideally you'd not use lifeguard=yes but instead
> lifeguard:conditional = yes @ (times) to indicate which times, days, months
> it is patrolled.

Which is what I was trying to achieve through the opening_hours=Oct-Apr
Sa-Su 06:00-17:00 - does that work?

Thanks

Graeme